The Cellular Biophysics Scientist position will generate data and participate in technology development to expand MaxCyte’s capabilities for loading molecules into eukaryotic cells. This individual will work independently to implement a research program focused on optimizing electroporation-mediated transfection and developing novel methodologies for cellular modification. The ideal candidate will have a detailed understanding of cellular biology and expertise in applying electrical, chemical and physical processes for cellular manipulation. We are seeking a flexible self starter with the breadth of professional experience and drive to work effectively with both internal and external partners in a highly matrixed and cross-functional organization.
- Designs and conducts experiments to optimize electroporation parameters and buffer formulations for loading molecules into mammalian cells, insect cells and cellular derivatives.
- Identifies novel approaches for introducing molecules into cells, modulating biological pathways, and analyzing phenotypic and physiological parameters.
- Produces data on cellular pathways and processes that are impacted by physical and chemical perturbation of primary cells and immortalized cell lines.
- Works closely with electrical and mechanical engineers to optimize existing instrumentation and develop novel technologies for cellular manipulation and cellular analysis.
- Contributes to cross departmental activities as needed, by providing technical input where required. Prepares and reviews technical documents for patent applications, regulatory authorities and external contractors and collaborators.
- Develops, revises, and reviews SOPs, protocols, and process development and technical reports.
- Maintains appropriate level of documentation throughout the entire development process and follows Good Documentation Practices.
- Collaborates and manages relationships with cross functional internal and external stakeholders including Research and Development (R&D), Manufacturing Operations, Engineering (ENG) and Quality Assurance (QA).
- Complies with all applicable laws and Company policies regarding health, safety, and environment.
- Requires PhD or a minimum of 3 years relevant experience with a master’s degree in biophysics, biochemistry or biomedical engineering.
- In depth knowledge of cellular biology and biophysics.
- Prior experience with electroporation is essential.
- Experience handling and culturing mammalian cell lines and primary cells, including blood cells, is mandatory.
- Ability to independently conceive experimental designs, make detailed observations, analyze and interpret data, propose improvements to and troubleshoot experimental protocols.
- Strong quantitative, qualitative, and critical thinking skills and abilities. Ability to adapt to changing needs as experiments develop or priorities change.
- Working knowledge of analytical instrumentations and test methods, such as Flow Cytometry, ELISA, qRT-PCR and immunological assays.
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to “think outside the box”.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential; ability to present thoughts clearly and concisely.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with and lead vendors, customers, colleagues, and direct reports across teams. Detail oriented with proven organization and project management skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills; experience using MS Office and other data analysis software and other related applications.
MaxCyte, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Cellular Biophysics in the subject line.