The Cellular Biophysics Scientist position will generate data and participate in technology development to expand MaxCyte’s capabilities for loading molecules into eukaryotic cells. This individual will work independently to implement a research program focused on optimizing electroporation-mediated transfection and developing novel methodologies for cellular modification. The ideal candidate will have a detailed understanding of cellular biology and expertise in applying electrical, chemical and physical processes for cellular manipulation. We are seeking a flexible self starter with the breadth of professional experience and drive to work effectively with both internal and external partners in a highly matrixed and cross-functional organization.
- Designs and conducts experiments to optimize electroporation parameters and buffer formulations for loading molecules into mammalian cells, insect cells and cellular derivatives.
- Identifies novel approaches for introducing molecules into cells, modulating biological pathways, and analyzing phenotypic and physiological parameters.
- Produces data on cellular pathways and processes that are impacted by physical and chemical perturbation of primary cells and immortalized cell lines.
- Works closely with electrical and mechanical engineers to optimize existing instrumentation and develop novel technologies for cellular manipulation and cellular analysis.
- Contributes to cross departmental activities as needed, by providing technical input where required. Prepares and reviews technical documents for patent applications, regulatory authorities and external contractors and collaborators.
- Develops, revises, and reviews SOPs, protocols, and process development and technical reports.
- Maintains appropriate level of documentation throughout the entire development process and follows Good Documentation Practices.
- Collaborates and manages relationships with cross functional internal and external stakeholders including Research and Development (R&D), Manufacturing Operations, Engineering (ENG) and Quality Assurance (QA).
- Complies with all applicable laws and Company policies regarding health, safety, and environment.
- Requires PhD or a minimum of 3 years relevant experience with a master’s degree in biophysics, biochemistry or biomedical engineering.
- In depth knowledge of cellular biology and biophysics.
- Prior experience with electroporation is essential.
- Experience handling and culturing mammalian cell lines and primary cells, including blood cells, is mandatory.
- Ability to independently conceive experimental designs, make detailed observations, analyze and interpret data, propose improvements to and troubleshoot experimental protocols.
- Strong quantitative, qualitative, and critical thinking skills and abilities. Ability to adapt to changing needs as experiments develop or priorities change.
- Working knowledge of analytical instrumentations and test methods, such as Flow Cytometry, ELISA, qRT-PCR and immunological assays.
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to “think outside the box”.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential; ability to present thoughts clearly and concisely.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with and lead vendors, customers, colleagues, and direct reports across teams. Detail oriented with proven organization and project management skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills; experience using MS Office and other data analysis software and other related applications.
MaxCyte, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to . Please reference Cellular Biophysics in the subject line.